June 10, 2014

Tri Talk Tuesday- Balance



Hey it's Tuesday...which means it's Tri Talk Tuesday! Today we are discussing balance. The question I get all the time is "How do I balance my training and family life?" The number one reason most people don't or can't workout is due to time. It's a valid reason, I get it. Here are a few things that I have learned over the years that have helped me with balancing it all.

Become an early riser. The same goes at home as I mentioned last week in my Vacation tips blog post. Wake before your kids and husband to fit in a workout. I'm not an early riser but I have learned on busy days that I must do this in order to feel better the rest of the day. I usually wake before the rest of the house and by the time I get back the kids and husband are eating breakfast. I am a much happier mom and wife if I can get my training done early in the day.

Schedule your workouts or training days. Write down or type in your calendar the days you will train or exercise. There is something about seeing it scheduled into your day that makes you that much more aware and needing to check it off your list.

Be realistic about your goals. Don't sign up for an Ironman if you can't find the time to train for at least 15 hours a week. Think about doing a shorter distance instead. There is nothing worse than forking out all that money for a big race only to realize that you don't have the time to train. And who wants to waste $600 bucks!

Call in the support troops. Does your spouse work long hours and you can't find a moment alone? Enlist in the help of others. Reach out to friends and family. Ask if they can help. The worst thing that could happen is they say no. If that's the case, fork out a little bit of cash for a babysitter. I have mentioned this before but hire the young babysitters who are just starting out, they are cheap and need experience. If you are worried about their lack of experience, hire him/her to come over while you exercise on the bike trainer somewhere else in the house. You could also find a gym that offers childcare.

Tag team with your spouse. If exercise is just as important to your spouse as it is to you, tag team. He watches the kids while you get in your workout then you return home and he goes out to train. You can also do this at a pool or beach. Go for a swim while he watches the kids and vice-versa. That way the kids are having fun and are entertained and you can still get some swim conditioning done.


Do you find it hard to balance work, life and training? What are some ways you make it work?

4 comments:

  1. Great tips! I too try to get a good amount of my workouts done in the early morning. And I commit much better when I have a week of plans scheduled right into my day neatly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something about getting your morning workout in bright and early. It leaves me refreshed the rest of the day! Thanks for the comment Courtney and so excited for you next weekend! You are going to rock it!!!

      Delete
  2. Awesome tips and we have some of the same ones - but you make some really helpful points that I hadn't considered!

    ReplyDelete